The Divine Abortionist

The True Facts About Abortion

I do not have Solomon’s Wisdom or a presidential hotline to The Almighty, so I must admit there are several issues about the Pro Life position that puzzle me. I tried, unsuccessfully, to resolve the issues with the following logic.

Imagine that traffic conditions were such that you only had a 20% chance of arriving at your destination alive, and an 80% chance of being killed in an accident on the way? I know it seems like a silly proposition, but it came to my mind after reading a news report on fertility. I’ll explain later.

So, I ask you, “Should I stop driving? Should I demand that traffic conditions be improved? Should I find a safer way to get to Wal-Mart? I am sure you will agree that something should be done about such a tragic circumstance.”

Now consider this. It is a medical fact that a fertilized human egg has a 20% chance of developing into a baby and an 80% chance of dying by natural causes on the way to birth.

So, I ask you again, “Should I stop having babies? Should I demand that prenatal care be improved? Should I find a safer way to have babies?” The answers are fraught with uncertainties. In the future, medical science may provide a way to ensure the viability of every fertilized egg, but that is a very long way off. And, if we could, should we? Just think of the increase in world population that has already surpassed the 9 billion mark.

Here is my dilemma. If I am a moral person, and I believe that killing a fertilized human egg is sinful and should be illegal, would it not also be sinful and illegal to create a fertilized egg that only has a two of ten chance of survival? Is it a sinful act to allow and assist in the loss of eight innocent lives?

I do not have an answer to these questions, but I do have another question that confuses me. What is the difference between the termination of a human life (fertilized egg, embryo, or fetus) because a doctor performs an abortion, compared to a pregnant woman who loses her fetus because she refused to follow her pediatrician’s advice about prenatal health or does not have access to prenatal care? The result is the same; a life is lost. Should she be libel to moral and legal retribution?

Finally, how can I believe in God’s commandment, “Thou shall not kill” and then, inexplicably, add exceptions to the rule. Many who believe in the commandment, think capital punishment is a legitimate exception. Likewise, there are those who believe that killing our nation’s enemies, along with innocent civilians is a legitimate exception. Most of us believe killing someone in self-defense or while protecting our family from harm, are legitimate exceptions as well. Many believe that a pregnancy resulting from an incestuous rape, or a pregnancy that endangers a mother’s life should be an exception also. I keep asking myself, “What would Jesus have done?” I guess it depends upon who you ask like everything else in the world.

I admit it, I’m confused and wonder how many others are as well. It is comforting, however, to know that the Religious Right has all the answers like our past President did. He said to trust him. He talks with God every day.  The Religious Right say trust us, we just talked to God, and He said abortion is evil.

A skeptic, or any person of reason might respond with the fact that 80% of pregnancies fail without a human hand involved. God seems to be the biggest abortionist because He could have prevented the high failure rate, being the omnipotent deity that he claims to be. So what kind of God kills 8 of 10 babies. It doesn’t make sense unless God is a Divine abortionist.


About cgosling

I am a retired medical/scientific illustrator and creator of patient teaching simulators, who has given up illustration to write about science, superstition, and secular humanism. I consider myself all of the following: atheist, agnostic, secular humanist, freethinker, skeptic, and nature lover. I have several published books but the mass of my writing is unpublished. I write children's fiction, poetry, essays, and several plays and radio theater shows, that are available as free downloads to be used on secular podcasts and meetings. They can be heard on Indy Freethought Radio or on YouTube “secularradiotheater”. I hope some of my writings will be of interest to like minded freethinkers who I cordially invite to respond. I am also a Darwin impersonator. I invite readers to listen to and use the Darwin script for secular purposes.
This entry was posted in God, health, science and superstition, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The Divine Abortionist

  1. I’ve always thought it interesting that man has given himself the authority to determine which human lives are sacred and which are not. If it were possible to determine the sexual orientation of an unborn child I wonder if Pro-lifers would add another exception to Thou Shall Not Kill.

    • cgosling says:

      Good point I hadn’t thought of but so true. Are gays human? Should those who brutalize and discriminate against gays be prosecuted if they are simply obeying God’s will? I’m afraid there are those who think God doesn’t care about gays. Thanks for the comment.

  2. thedisbeliever says:

    You’ve asked some really good questions here. I agree with the answers you’ve come up with. Good job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s