The Ten Commandments don’t work for me. A few make sense but most don’t. I thought I could do better than the ancient Hebrew writers so I gave it a try. I have no doubt you could have done better also. Give it a try. Add a few and alter a few, as you please. I’ll be interested in your thoughts.
The Twenty Commandments
1) Thou shall not follow a leader who claims divinity.
2) Thou shall not follow a leader who claims divine dominion over others
3) Thou shall not follow a leader who has not been duly chosen by those governed.
4) Thou shall not pardon or forgive until punishment or restitution occurs.
5) Thou shall not punish anyone for the crimes of his/her ancestors.
6) Thou shall not punish someone for working on the Sabbath or breaking any religious laws.
7) Thou shall not enforce personal or unfounded belief systems upon others.
8) Thou shall not take advantage of the weak or helpless.
9) Thou shall not kill, injure, or confine anyone without good reason and just due process.
10) Thou shall follow just laws and change them as needed.
11) Thou shall honor and follow reason, logic and the scientific method above all else.
12) Thou shall not allow emotion or tradition undue influence.
13) Thou shall honor and trust only those who deserve honor and trust.
14) Thou shall not steal from or cheat anyone.
15) Thou shall do unto others as you would have them do unto you, unless they do not do unto you as you do unto them.
16) Thou shall not accept any act of nature or man as divinely sanctioned or determined.
17) Thou shall love the earth, thy home, with all thy heart and with all thy mind.
18) Thou shall not keep slaves or force people to work without due compensation.
19) Thou shall care for children and all those not able to care for themselves.
20) Thou shall not mistreat animals.